Second-hand stores are one of my favorite things to visit as often as I can. You just never know what you will find. My daughter and I went browsing today just for something to do. We didn't really have any intentions of purchasing anything. But when we saw this little beauty, we couldn't resist. My daughter has a very nice, very old vanity that we have yet to refinish, but is also sans stool. I saw this stool at a local second-hand store and instantly saw it's potential. At $3.99 it was a steal with what I could create with it! Here's a "semi" step by step process of how we turned this item from trash into treasure.
**If you click on the pictures a slide show will appear and the pictures will be quite enlarged so you can see more detail of the project.**
This picture is how it was found at the store. Yup, you're grossed out thought is correct. It is indeed a toilet seat cover that some misguided individual deemed appropriate to "re-cover" it with. Eeewww.
First thing's first. Get rid of that nasty toilet seat cover!
Found this little treasure at the first second-hand store we visited today. Yeah, we went to more than one in one day; that's how I roll. This cute little fairy jewelry box is what inspired the fabrics that I found at my last errand stop at the local Wal-Mart to re-cover the seat. The fabrics total, including trim, was $7.29. (The "pink" on the fabric is actually the same color purple that's on the jewelry box. The camera tainted the color for some reason).
I cut what would be the ruffle skirt into a 5 1/2" width. I forgot to measure exactly how long it was to make the ruffle, but it was well past 45". Probably into the 60's. I first sewed a nice hem all along the length. Then the opposite edge, I sewed on the elastic and trim.
Outcome after sewing:
For the side panel I used the same fabric that I chose for the top. I cut it into a 2 1/2" X 45" piece then attached it near the top by the trim. I suppose some people would have chosen to sew directly over the top edge of the trim, but I liked the "roughly chic" look of the open edge.
I measured the top of the seat to be just over 14" so I used an allowance large enough to make it 15" in diameter. My super clever husband rigged a compass for me complete with one of my kids' colored pencils and iPod headphones. Yeah, we're resourceful =P
Once cut, I carefully and tediously sewed the circle to the side panel, then finishing by matching up the ends of the skirt to complete it.
Viola! A removable, washable seat cover for my daughter's vanity that I hope she will take very good care of once we refinish it to pass down. Such an unexpected, quick and easy project for tonight. And all for under $12.00!
Oh, she LOVES it btw ;)
Support your local second-hand store and happy treasure hunting!!
No comments:
Post a Comment